Thursday, April 30, 2009

Master & Friend

As I shared on my post from Easter, every spring, I find myself looking back at what the Lord has done in me, thru me, and for me. The relationship we have with Jesus changes as we mature spiritually. When we are first walking with Him, we are the Clay and He is the Potter. And then as a Shepherd, He cares for and leads us as Sheep.

And then... another growth spurt:

MASTER/SERVANT
While sheep stay outside, servants at least live in the same household as the master and talk with him, as long as it is business. The servant enjoys a more intimate relationship. The parable of the talents (Matthew 25:14-30) and the parable of the ten minas (Luke 19:11-27) refer to this level of relationship. However, servants know little of what is happening with the master, other than what they are directly involved with. A servant’s value is derived from how well she can complete the master’s will. While it is important for us to serve God wholeheartedly and do His will, God still longs to have an even greater level of intimacy than this.

FRIEND/FRIEND
A servant’s relationship with her master rests on business and performance, while love and mutual concern form the basis of a friend’s relationship with a friend. Jesus spoke about this deeper level of intimacy that He shared with His disciples when He said, “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s [personal] business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you” (John 15:15). Jesus is saying, “I value you not just because of how you serve me, but because you share my heart.” A friend’s value lies not so much in what she does, but in who she is as a personal confidant.

God wants to be our friend, and He wants us to be His friends. We can experience this friendship level of intimacy. As James 2:23 tells us, “And the scripture was fulfilled that says, ‘Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,’ and he was called God’s friend.” Also, Proverbs 22:11 says, “[She] who loves a pure heart and whose speech is gracious will have the king for [her] friend.”

Yet even as close as two friends can be, blood runs thicker than water.

The next two relationships are the most amazing... tomorrow...

1 comment:

simmie flock said...

Kel,

I love how some of your posts have turned into mini-devo's.

It's so awesome how Bry's overflow of the Lord's wisdom and knowledge is beginning to fill you to overflowing. I can just hear Bry sharing something like this...only your sharing is tainted with a wife's love of soaking up the Lord thru her one-flesh.

As awesome and powerful as it is learning directly from our Master, it's so glorifying...and submissive...and trusting...and gracious...when a wife shares what both her and her husband have gleaned thru their Lord together.

Your 'devo's' are just caked in that....
I can always leave your site sharing every word with D...
I love it...we love it.

Keep um comin', Sister! :)